The Kenya Investment Mechanism (KIM) is a five-year USAID project that is facilitating $400 million in investment for key sectors of Kenya’s economy, including agriculture, and for regional trade and investment opportunities under the Prosper Africa initiative. Being a USAID + Palladium Group partnership, the project supports the mobilization of private investment and accelerates enterprise-driven development. See the website.
USAID aims to use the Kenya Investment Mechanism platform to connecting business opportunities with financing, mobilize substantial capital from the private sector, and build partnerships between key stakeholders in the financial ecosystem. This would happen through the official website that would be integrated with their Investment Mapping system.
The Kenya Investment Mechanism needed to create a $1Billion investment pipeline for enterprises. This would be achieved through:
- Mobilizing capital for enterprises in Kenya and East Africa
- Improving the business environment through policy reform
- Offering capacity building to partners to deepen their understanding in the importance of value chain financing
- Align the website copy to match USAID’s brand language, and include key phrases prominent in the large-scale investment community
- Optimize the website during the copy and design processes for design, content, and navigation improvements
- Integrate complete data tracking and use regular data analysis to identify opportunities to improve experience
Using the Kenya Investment Mechanism website, USAID has managed to secure investment pipelines worth 1 Billion US$. They plan to support over 200 SMEs, and have mobilized 174 Million dollars in finance for enterprises (US$).
Insights – Optimizing content gathering processes
Due to the larger teams involved at the start of this project, we needed to make sure that content would not be a major cause of project delay. We consolidated all proposed copy into Google Docs, which could be shared with both teams. This would consolidate all feedback into one document link for review, and notify all team members when the content was approved.